Sunday, May 11, 2014

And we're off!


Obviously, you can’t pull off an epic adventure like a solo cross-Canada motorcycle ride without a few second thoughts. I know it’s not climbing Everest or diving on the Titanic, but it’s as epic an adventure as I’ve ever undertaken. Like the old Harp lager TV ads I saw on a visit “home” to Northern Ireland, “It’s mega!”
An hour before I ride and I can’t remember being as nervous, scared, anxious and excited as I am today. (Well, perhaps my wedding day, but since this trip starts about a week before my 18th anniversary, the less said about that the better!)

Before I head out, there are a few people to thank, folks without whose help and guidance this trip wouldn’t be possible.
First off, Mindy Jacobs, my wife, friend and nudge of almost 18 years. It’s not every woman who will enthusiastically help usher her mate out the door for three or four months. (Again, the less said the better!) But I've helped ensure a seamless transition to a lack of husband by hiring a lawn service, detailed instructions for lighting the barbecue and a guide to the mysteries of the TV remote controls!

My mother’s last words to me, a week before she died, pretty much sum up how much Mindy means to me. “Hang on to that wee girl; she’s been the making of you!” Truer words were never spoke. Her constant support and enthusiastic encouragement have made today possible.


I’d also like to thank my friend Peter Fratesi, a caring listener and a knowledgeable guide. His patience, understanding and gentle direction have provided me w ith a peace and contentment I thought I’d never regain. As you head into your own retirement, Peter, I wish you everything you’d wish for yourself.
I seriously would not be riding without the fantastic job done by chiropractor Dr. Todd Lynes at the Glenwood Sport and Spine Clinic. He did some amazing twisting and crunching, gave me a few stretching exercises and -- voila -- no more tears! Thanks kindly! 

I’d like to thank the guys at Triple M Motorsports here in Edmonton, who got the Bike-a-Lounger tuned and ready to ride. I’m heading out confident the biker is in as roadworthy and safe a condition as is possible for a 13-year-old two-wheeler. Thanks Dave and Mike.

Finally, I’d like to thank my friends for their support and friendship. It's always a blast having a bunch of these talented, witty, fun-loving folks -- especially the regulars at the Metro Billiards Beer Church! As Oscar Wilde said, “I choose my friends for their good looks, my acquaintances for their good characters and my enemies for their good intellects.” You know who you are; you know where you fit into my life. Look out for Mindy while I’m away!
Well, With Stompin’ Tom’s I Am The Wind wafting over the Alberta Legislature grounds, I’m about to point that front wheel west and head out across this land on two wheels. Keep an eye out for me and the Bike-A-Lounger. We're big, we're green and the tunes are likely loud!

Please visit my Ride for Sight secure online fundraising page and pledge a few bucks for this important fundraising ride to support research into the causes and prevention of blindness. Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment