Tuesday, July 1, 2014

It's Canada Day up Canada way!

Canada Day up Canada Way on the first day of July. And we're shouting hooray up Canada way when the maple leaf flies high! -- Stompin' Tom Connors


My ride across Canada on my 2001 BMW K1200LT is inspired in part by the cross-Canada wanderings of Canadian troubador Stompin' Tom Connors. Tom really opened my eyes to the beauty of this great land and the people who call it home!


I've already seen some magnificent scenery, met some wonderful new people and revisited a lot of old friends during the first 9,000 kilometers of my ride. I'm hoping that will continue over the remaining 7,000 clicks across Ontario, Quebec, the Maritimes and Newfounland and Labrador!

Today, I'm spending some time with family to reflect on just how lucky I was that my parents, Brigid and Douglas Kenny, chose to emigrate here from our native Northern Ireland.

Without their courage and determination nearly 60 years ago, my family might never have learned what  a warm, inviting and safe country this is. Too many people will never know the welcoming and joyous feeling I get when I see our flag flying high -- at home and abroad.

Sing it, Tom! And if you blog readers and Facebookers out there know the words, join in!

And staying with the Canadian theme of today's column, please consider a donation to Ride for Sight, Canada's largest motorcycle charity fundraiser.

I'm a third of the way to my goal of $5,000 by Sept. 1! It's a secure link and so easy, my six-year-old neice Claire used it to donate $5! (With only a little help!) 

No comments:

Post a Comment